Since opening its doors in 2010, the Marcus Stroke and Neuroscience Center has become a magnet for patients from across the Southeast. Designated a Joint Commission Comprehensive Stroke Center in 2013, the Marcus Center is one of a handful of elite facilities providing complex stroke care in the United States. Our Center and other comprehensive centers are recognized leaders responsible for setting the national agenda in highly specialized stroke care. Last year, the Center performed nearly 3,000 procedures, caring for people from all walks of life and economic backgrounds.
Established by a multi-million dollar gift from the Marcus Foundation, the Marcus Stroke and Neuroscience Center is a Neurocritical Care Unit for acute, time-dependent neurological emergencies and an outpatient center provides care, testing and treatment on an ongoing basis. It incorporates the most advanced equipment and a host of ground-breaking advancements in method and facility design. It is the first of its kind in the region and accepts patients from across the Southeast and beyond. Moreover, our care is recognized for it’s outcomes – learn more about our quality measures.
In June 2017, we opened a new outpatient center that brings all our services into once space.
In June 2018, we unveiled Georgia’s first mobile stroke unit – an ambulance designed to take cutting edge stroke care directly to patients.
Built around a family-centered care model, the doctors and staff at the Marcus Stroke and Neuroscience Center are committed to fighting stroke before it ever strikes. We are proud to offer:
- Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission – one of only four in the state of Georgia
- A certified Primary Stroke Center – one of 42 in the state
- The first hospital in Georgia to offer round-the-clock stroke care
- Comprehensive services including stroke awareness and education
If you or someone near you experiences any symptoms of stroke, call 911 immediately. Even if the symptoms seem minor, don’t hesitate. Failure to call for emergency help can affect the chances for recovery or even survival.
The Marcus Stroke and Neuroscience Center is a state of the art Neurocritical Care Unit, providing an optimal environment for the highest quality patient care, scientific discovery and training. The facility includes:
- 18 ICU beds and 19 intermediate care beds
- An abundance of natural light to aid the therapeutic healing
- An imaging suite with a high-speed 64-slice CT scanner on the unit
- Two dedicated bi-plane neuroangiography suites on the unit
- MRI and PET scanners
- Advanced image-guided neurosurgery
- Telemedicine infrastructure
- Decentralized nursing stations and unique site lines provide direct, continuous patient observation
- Continuous cardiac and neurophysiologic monitoring, as well as neurophysiologic monitoring including synchronous EEG and video
The Stroke Center Team
The Marcus Stroke and Neuroscience Center is staffed by a multidisciplinary team that provides optimal care for stroke patients. The Stroke Center team includes:
- Emergency Department physicians
- Neurocritical care nurses
- Neuroimaging technologists
- Specialty trained ancillary and support staff
Learn more about our physicians.
We are proud to partner with organizations throughout the community to raise awareness of stroke prevention and treatment availability. Our partners include: